Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Digital Graphics


This is a picture I took a few years ago at a beach in Boca Raton, FL. I played around with some of the editing option in Adobe photoshop (here is the chalk and charcoal feature) and also cropped the image to get the date and some debris on the beach out of the picture. Students could be very creative when using this in the classroom and could use it to incorporate music and the other arts like making album covers or a slideshow to go along with a recording, or even for a journal coverpage for a music journal. Student could edit many different types of artwork here and editing pictures could even be a cross curricular activity involving the art teacher in your school or other subjects such as history and science (ex. learning about "The Planets" by Holst, etc.) Software programs such as Photoshop really provide endless opportunities for learning and creativity in the class!



here is a copy of a pretend band handbook I made.

Using pdf's for teaching can be very helpful. The example I used was making a handbook. This could be posted on your band's website or emailed using a listserv to you students. Audition materials, show music, concert posters and programs are a few other things that could be made into a pdf to avoid any editing done to the document and for easy posting on the web as well as through emails.





Here is an example of exporting notation using Finale or Sibelius. This could be very helpful in my teaching as I could assess the compositional projects of my students, or even use it to look at assignments students completed using a CAI program like SmartMusic.
Here is what an edited screen shot looks like. I think this could be used to allow students to be creative and personalize assignments, and also allow me to see what their desktop looks like and see if certain assignments or projects are on there.

Here is an example of a picture I created using Adobe Photoshop (Go Bucks!!). If I somehow made an error in this, please let me know! Photoshop could be a create tool in the classroom. Many lessons that were explained in an article Dr. Walls wrote provided ways of students synching artwork up with music, or finding visual art parallel to the time of certain musical time periods. Students could get very creative and made album covers, slide shows, even talk about a personal photo. I think students would have a lot of fun using this tool. I did once I got the hang of it!


2 comments:

Kim Walls said...

Good reflection. Can you edit the notation screen shot, perhaps by cropping it?

Allison Parker said...

Yes. I just finished edited my notation screen shot. My computer crashed yesterday and I had to reinstall all my coponents, including Primo PDF. When you get a chance can you see if I did it correctly??